Find It In This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean Movies

Before you read this, whoever you might be, trust me when I say that I know it seems like a late time to be writing this.

Johnny Depp: Jack
Orlando Bloom: Will
Keira Knightley: Elizabeth

I was initially excited to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, when it came out July 2003, until I heard from my friends that it was 50% action and 50% comedy. It sounded pretty awful to me. The plot sounded awesome enough. A blacksmith(Will) in love with the governer's daughter(Elizabeth), seeks the help of the crazy pirate(Jack), in order to save her from other pirates, who happen to be the undead mates of Jack.

That sounds thrilling. We get to see not only pirates, but cursed undead pirates. We get to watch a man fight for the love of his life. We get to be led through the life of Jack and discover why the undead pirates are undead. And we get to learn what the Black Pearl really is. So why add lame and poorly executed comedy? There are so many action scenes that raise your adrenaline, only to be brought down by Johnny Depp saying something like, "My goodness, there's a bloody whole in my ship." It's not a very funny statement. It brings down the whole mood and makes it seem less intense than it really is. And the "Pirates" movies are the kind of movies that could be really thrilling and intense.

I think another reason it throws me off, is because the actors are all strong actors. None of them have the comedy vibe.

The Rush Hour movies are obviously going to be slightly commical because Chris Tucker is involved and he is a known comedian. But it seems confusing and odd to have Knightley, Bloom and Depp in a comedy since none of them give that comedy feel.

I thought the movies would get better; that they would see that the comedy didn't fit well, and get rid of it. But they didn't do that at all. They kept the comedy thing.

I swear that the "Pirates" movies would be so much better without all the lame comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment